Helping independent schools make good decisions
We advise a number of independent schools, and our team of solicitors have the skills to address and understand the day-to-day challenges such schools face, for example:
- Employment issues
- Managing out under-performing staff members
- Policies and procedures
- Contracts for senior management/management team
- Employment Tribunal hearings
- Recovery of unpaid school fees
- Sale and purchase of property
- Property leasehold
- Dispute resolution
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Charities law
The advantage of using TWM is you will receive excellent advice and service for which we are renowned, delivered with an appreciation of the issues particular to this sector.
Examples of how we have helped independent schools:
- We advised and helped to negotiate changes in contractual hours for the support staff at a local public school. This arose as part of a review of the school’s needs for such staff which increased requiring a consequential increase in working hours. The employees were represented by their Trade Union. After a number of meetings, revised terms were agreed.
- We advised a client school in dealing with a member of staff who was accused of abusing a pupil. The member of staff was subsequently arrested in relation to this matter.
- We acted for a specialist independent day school for children with speech, language and communication difficulties in acquiring another school to enable them to expand their activities. This included acquisition of the school and dealing with all employment issues arising from the transfer of staff.
- Recovery of unpaid fees arising as a consequence of situations including:
- Not signing the school register / entry form
- Payments in lieu of notice
- Dissatisfaction with teaching standards
- Unhappy children at school
- Separating parents both avoiding responsibility for ongoing fee payment
- A partner advised and helped to negotiate the acquisition of 2 schools on behalf of a Charitable Trust set up by us on behalf of the parents from the religious orders that were previously running the school. The work included the formation of the charitable body, the negotiations with members of the existing staff and the legal acquisition of both school sites. We then acted in the negotiation with commercial lenders on behalf of the new Charitable Trust to fund the acquisition.