Legal advice from people who know golf clubs
Golf Club Solicitors
There are over 100 golf clubs in Surrey alone. TWM is legal adviser or has advised a significant number of clubs over the years, both from within the county and further afield. We work with both proprietary clubs and members' clubs.
Selling golf clubs
We have been involved in the legal aspects of the sale of over a dozen golf clubs across the country. The purchasers are varied, including existing landlords, but there is also interest from overseas with buyers from Korea, China and Russia amongst others.
General commercial legal advice for golf clubs
- Amendment of Management Services Agreement
- Data protection advice
- Business rate relief
- Amendments to Articles and Bye-laws for clubs involving amongst other things advice on Equality Act and Licensing Act. You can download our briefing note about Golf Clubs and Licensing
- Contract advice to a club negotiating to stage a high profile televised championship
Employment law issues
The case of Aldeburgh Golf Club, Suffolk who agreed to pay an ex-employee £50,000 for unfair dismissal shows that clubs can be heavily penalised if procedures are not followed or complaints not investigated properly. As employers, clubs are no different from any other businesses with a payroll. We have been called upon to assist in the following areas:
- Revision of employment contracts for all golf club staff
- Advising a golf club resisting a claim brought by an ex-employee for unfair dismissal
- Pensions auto-enrolment
- Advising golf clubs on issues around redundancy
You can download our briefing about Employment Issues for Golf Clubs
Property and land
- Property and golf club land in relation to covenants, easements, expansion and land acquisition
- Transfer of title to freehold property owned by a club following a change in trustees.
Make An Enquiry
If you have a question or would like to send an enquiry to our golf legal team, pleaseFollow @twmbusinesslaw
Watch our video
An introduction to TWM, our services and the people
"TWM Solicitors has acted for the Tindle Newspaper Group for over 30 years. We have always found them to be extremely helpful and are happy to continue with them and to recommend them".
Sir Ray Tindle